VARYFORM Design is looking for a Chicago-based Fashion Design Intern for SPRING 2016 (1/31-5/30) who has strong sewing skills and wants to gain experience working on a full collection in a startup environment. It is an amazing opportunity for candidates who are passionate about contemporary womenswear design and want to learn a lot in a very short period of time.
As the Fashion Design Intern, you will have the opportunity to not only gain invaluable experience of seeing (a) collection(s) develop from ideation to completion, but also to work in a very friendly and creative environment alongside other designers and collaborators at the Chicago Fashion Incubator at Macy’s on State Street.
• Experience: Recent fashion design graduate or 3rd/4th year student. Related majors are welcome to apply as long as you can show examples of design skills (past sewing projects, drawings, etc.)
• Intermediate/strong sewing skills are a must, along with the willingness & patience to learn new techniques.
• Intermediate patternmaking skills strongly preferred, but basic patternmaking knowledge is required.
• Ability to commit a minimum of 100 hours over the course of 4 months, though we are flexible with your schedule. Check your university hours requirements, as they may be more or less and we can work out a schedule that fits your needs.
Ideal: 1/31-05/30/2016 (Approximately 17 weeks x 6 hours/week = 102 total hours)
•Other applicable skills: Hand drawing, hand sewing, strong understanding of fashion terminology, knowledge of textiles. These skills are not required but will be very helpful during your internship. I am willing to train in these areas.
• This is an unpaid internship, so it is highly preferred that you receive college credit.
• Assisting in all aspects of the collection development process: Assisting with the sourcing of fabrics and trims, helping adjust patterns, creating basic pattern pieces as needed, sewing mock-ups, communicating through sketching and draping, providing critical design feedback on the collection
• Actively learn about the industry as a whole by reading trade publications (WWD, Business of Fashion, etc.) and taking time to read about special topics, as requested.
• Accompany the designer to various Chicago Fashion Incubator events and act as a representative of the brand, being able to communicate the VARY FORM vision as needed.
• Other activities will be negotiated based on your long-term career plans and areas of interest. We want you to get the most out of your internship and learn as much as possible while you are here.
Please share this post with anyone you think might be a great candidate and comment with any questions or thoughts.